Saturday, January 14, 2006

Romfod - amusiing fact (it amused me anyway)

Been off the blogging for a bit - busy little me hasn't got time, or rather there are always more pressing matters. I'll try and write a summary of my 2005, if and when I get a few magic minutes. (Ha ha).

Anyway, this little fact amused me. The town of Romford's name was not, as you might imagine, named after a river Rom which could be forded here. This is the logical conclusion, right? Wrong. The town came first, the river was (and is) a stream originally known as the Murkeyditche. The name is a back-formation.

And having tried to cross it at various times while wandering through Eastbrookend Park, which runs behind our house, I can testify to its murkiness.

And that's your lot until I can be arsed to write again - which will hopefully be sooner rather than later.

Music: Lots -updating iPod so putting lots on and hearing most of it.
Books: Martin Lewis's MoneyDiet
Blog I like: Diamond Geezer's (Google-able), particular his somewhat obsessive diary of Bow Road station refurbishment which reminded me the Curious Tale of the Dog and the Night Time in its minute detail - find and read (warning, its long and you have to get into the spit or else it just seems a bit OCD-ish.

No comments: