Monday, March 29, 2010

Reason to be proud?

I've blanked out names. This is actually a source of perverse pride to me. I've only ever had one work complaint levelled against me that I'm aware of. This is it. As complaints go, its pretty full-on. Might as well go the whole hog I guess.

It was sent on Friday.


*****


From: Pissed off customer
Sent: 26 March 2010 14:01
To: My whole work team (including me)
Subject: Phone call

Called your "call centre" 10 minutes ago to order a pocketalker hearing device for my severely deaf father. I have never had such obnoxious, rude and downright poor customer service.
I hung up on the phone call after he tried his hardest to treat me like an idiot.

The man was cocky and surly and has without doubt lost you a sale. If it wasn't for such a poor website I would not have had to use your call centre in the first place.

Please pass this email on to your manager/training department. He should not be allowed to speak to the public in that tone.

Pissed off customer

****


I would contest that I was hardly cocky or obnoxious - no more than usual anyway. I was trying to be my usual helpful self, and the woman was a stroppy shit, hassling for me to speed up my answers, which is impossible without superfast broadband, which is something we don't have.

Generally speaking, in a situation where a customer wants answers I don't have, I'd ask them politely what they need to know, do the research and ring them back, and in 99 percent of cases, this works fine. Seems old "firework up her arse" bitch here wanted the answers now, and NOW only.

So uptight. Such a fuckwit. It tells you a lot that she "hung up on me". I've never had cause to do this to a customer - ever.

I hope she enjoys the remaining years on earth she has. I guarantee that unless I get thwacked by a car or some other act of God, I'll be on this planet for a greater number of years than her, since her stress level appears, at least today, to be stratospheric. I'd love to say with some
honesty that I feel sorry for her but if she insists of pissing off everyone around her, then I don't. I feel sorry for her husband (if he managed to last more than a year in her company he must be a masochist), her family and her few remaining friends.

I believe that the issue she really had with me was that I didin't show her the deference she expected. There are few people I will ever defer to. I generally take the simple rule that if you aren't paying me, aren't someone I care a lot for, or my parents, then deference is earnt, not given as a right.

No comments: