Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Bric a brac

I am now using Putty to tunnel into my work PC which speeds up things nicely now we’ve got 2 meg broadband. I was getting heartily sick of the slow speeds I encountered using dialup but until how I’ve not had much of a choice. This makes things whizz. It is almost as fast working here as it is in the office.

Mum and dad have been decorating the house now for several days and its looking good. Surprisingly, its not been at all painful having them here. What I mean by this is that you always feel the need to clear up (which they’ve done anyway), and somehow ‘fit in’ with them, which we’ve done to some extent, eg, smoking outside, making lots of tea (ugh! Grim stuff). They’ve redecorated the bathroom and living room painting away the nasty pink wallpaper our house was blessed with when we moved here five years ago. The house is looking somewhat better than it was. Now all we need to do is move to somewhere bigger, and possibly further into London.

To reciprocate for all their help, I’m taking mum out to buy her laptop – think I have the one she’ll need. I’m a bit worried about the lack of memory though, I’d be going for a gig myself, but they seem to think 256mb will be OK, and since they are only going to use it for email, who am I to dictate they spend more money.

Still feeling sad about Nigel. Last night was chatting to Lynn in bed about all the things he’d never now be able to do. Thank goodness she is here to talk to – whenever I start thinking about him too much, I become quite maudlin about the randomness of life and death.

Mick has an interview next week – his first one in over ten years.

Music: Orbital, various
Mood: A bit flat but better than yesterday

No comments: