Sunday, December 03, 2006

Perfect orange

In, I think, 1991, the UK government ran a series of anti-drug infomercials. One which jumped out was an themed on the dangers of aceeeed advert where a chap was standing on the roof of a high building. His mates were begging him to come down, but no, the fellow jumped. The last thing he said was the he was looking for the perfect blue. I've done a bit of LSD and have never had the sort of trips that lead to delusions of being able to fly or perform any other superhuman ways. But the idea of the perfect blue creeped me out then and it was four or five years later when I dropped my first acid, and say vein-coloured horses coming out of the walls and became obsessed with the hidden meaning behind particular words that I really got to know the full extent of the mental strageness that is your brain on a trip. I've mixed views on the various drugs I've tried, but in my case, thankfully, no regrets at all, and double-thankfully, during the 10 or so trips I've done, no bad ones either. Tripping does alter the way you think about the world, and in some ways, with a greater respect for your mental health as you realise its only a few molecules which are holding your sanity together. it still pisses me off that acid house music was never actually about the drug at all, which was even then pretty much a cult drug confined to festival-heads, old time hippies and a few e-heads who wanted something a bit more interesting, more intense.

If the government had done the tiniest bit of research, it would have discovered that the acid in "acid house" was a reference to the Roland TB-303's bass synth's squelchy "acid" noises used on a lot of the tracks of the time.

I digress though - my acid experiences and government inabilty to real cultural references weren't going to be the point of today's lecture :)

It was merely a run-up to the fact that on Wednesday evening, while Christmas shopping in Matalan, I found the perfect oranage. It was resplendent on some plasticware: the kind of thing you stick plates on to dry, and I fell in love with it instantly. My phone's camera makes it look a bit redder than it actulaly is, and even with a bit of colour tweaking, I can't get it quite right. But anyway, here it is.

No comments: