Friday, December 16, 2005

The meaning of 'scundered'

I just realise that I used a word in my last entry, 'scundered', which most people won't have heard of.

Simple: its from Northern Ireland, and according to the BBC's "Voices" website, specifically from Belfast, where coinidentally, my wife hales from before her family moved to Craigavon in the late 60s (my mum-in-law has an old proddy "Shankill" accent).

It simply means 'embarrassed'.

You can have a look at other Northern Irishisms here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/voices/atilazed/a.shtml

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scundered means to be tired, sickened or fed-up with something. It definitely doesn't mean you're embarrassed

Anonymous said...

scundered definitely does mean embarrassed in belfast. it also definitely means skint (short of money/financially embarrassed) in derry and other northerly counties.

I think you mean hails from.

Anonymous said...

Belfast people say scundered as in embrassed and derry people say scundered as in pissed off!