Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Chas 'n' Dave "split"

The Graun had an article yesterday about Chas 'n' Dave, the band who bought East End knees up music to the masses (in the 80s too) "splitting". Well, since they are ending on amicable terms, "splitting" seems a bit harsh. 
 
I used to quite like their music in a non-committed sort of way, so when a friend dragged me along to the Fairfield Halls in Croydon to see them play, I went with some trepidation, not expecting much, but enjoying the company.   They were fabulous!. 
 
The lads put on a top gig - really energetic, with half the show dedicated to taking requests from audience members, the other half just larking around and mostly playing the more well-known tracks of theirs.  Their presence will be sadly missed.  They played  Glastonbury a few years ago and from the comments I've read about the experience, they really worked the crowds, making many new fans along the way I'd guess. 
 
Apparently Dave's missus has died of lung cancer (which prompted Dave's retirement from the biz).  Not so nice.
 
From me, good luck to the lads,  and of course...GERTCHA!
 

No comments: