Thursday, October 05, 2006

A review of The Bermondsey Kitchen


Next time I post a restaurant review I'll get a phone included from my mobile. I hadn't thought of doing a review until today though.

This gastro-pub is situated on Bermondsey Street, about 10 minus walk from London Bridge station. I was there with 10 people from work at a post-meeting meal.

The interior is light and mainly consisting of pale woods and beiges which make it look fairly contemporary. It’s more ‘restaurant’ than ‘pub’ in my view.

First course: small, but tasty I had the mixed continental meat selection. There could have been a bit more meat, but what was there was more Borough Market than Borough High Street.

Second Course: Sweet potato, mozzarella, cous-cous and rocket, splashed with chilli oil. I’m a carnivore through and through and the only reason I ordered this dish was because everything else either came with tomatoes, which I can’t abide, or was offal. Which I can’t abide either. My veggie course therefore had an air of low expectation about it. Not justified fortunately as the meal was delicious – plenty of varying tastes and enough gear to keep my stomach happy.

Dessert: Yummy choices, I went for a dessert whose name I’ve forgotten, so let me describe instead. In the middle of he plate was a ball of the kind of ‘crème’ you get in crème brulee. Atop this sat a scrumptious almond and butter cookie. If I could make these I’d give up work and sell them to random people on the on the street who would instantly want more. Boy, I could make some ‘dough’ with these biccies. Around the side of the crème/biscuit tower were pieces of quince which I’ve never tried before and whose taste I was delighted by.

So: results time:

Cost was £27.50 per head, 3 stars
Value: starter 2/5 main 3/5 dessert 4/5

3.5 / 5 then. Not bad. I would say its quite a pricey meal considering the quantity you actually get, but the grub is suitably unusual enough without being over poncified so I’m giving it a rating of RECOMMENDED.

No comments: