Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The sound of the draburbs


My boss, who is moving to Dagenham (out of choice), has christened it “The Drabbest ‘Burb”.

I can’t think of anything that could possibly contradict this description. Admittedly, in its favour, there are the tube stations, for easy exit, it features numerous fast food outlets (most with home delivery and mainly decent without troubling the word “gourmet”) and there are few rather nice parks, Parsloes and the un-aptly named Central Park (inaccurate for the fact that it lies to the north east of the town, AND is about as far as its more famous counterpart as you can possibly get). And it has been a safe enough place for us to reside for the last eight years.

My boss, on landing there for the first time, also described it as “an area without stimulation”.

Can anyone knowing the UK capital well come up with a more drab ‘burb? Cos I grew up in suburban west and have lived in southeast and inner east London and I can’t think of anywhere – least of all a whole town - that’s drabber. Oddly enough though, I do rather like living there. Maybe I reflect the town as much as it reflects me.

No comments: