Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stockholm holiday: Savile Row and the Kultur-al hub

Here are some pictures I took of central Stockholm.


Bus stop. Where the frig is the tram. We waited for while. It didn't come. This was just after doing the boat trip.

I'm flattered by the fact that this fashion shop has borrowed the famous street where tailor made suits are made in London. I also like the postcode, which of course should be W1.


This place, a building full of cinemas and theatres, really reminded me of Alexanderplatz. Now, Alexanderplatz in Berlin, before 1992 looked like a concrete shopping precinct, knocked up in the average British town around 1968 in order to add a modernist yet cosmopolitan look and feel. I grew up with such centres (the one in Uxbridge was until the mid 80s an appealing concrete carbuncle which I honestly liked a great deal. This has nothing to do with Sweden, except the area around the Central Station brings me back to those heady days of 1976 before we discovered marble. Wonderful and extremely nostalgic. OK, this is its a bit posher than the Arndale Centre, Wandsworth - but only just. You know the druggies are only a few steps away, and if this were a town in England, they would be there by fountains injecting themselves or passing round the can of Tennants Super.

No comments: