Friday, September 05, 2008

Stockholm holiday - intro

After baiting my breath for many weeks, my beloved wifey surprised me by informing me that the trip we were about to undertake for our annual wayzgoose was in fact one to a city I've wanted to go to since 1976, when I purchase out of my own hard won cash, Arrival by Abba. It took me an age to to save enough to buy this classic album from Woolies in Southall, at I think, £2.79, but my seven year self had just had a birthday, which must have helped considerably. I played the eponymous track and was blown away. Scaring my sis by playing "I Am the Tiger" on our shared record player, while she slept in bed was also a bonus. The "bad thing" creeping through the city streets was never so musically delciious.

The album cover proclaimed that it had been recorded at Polar Studio, Stockholm, Sweden. Alas, the studios are no more, driven out by high rents in this expensive city, but Stockholm itself is a wonderful place despite this.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting some photos taken on my phone. To call these unusual is possibly over-egging the pudding somewhat, but there are only a few touristy shots. Stockholm is renowned for its art and fashion. I don't see enough to really get art, unless it i in my face, and we're too old and cumudgeonly to care much about goings-on in the fashionista world. So there are going to be unfashionable suburbs and occasional shots of metro stations.

No comments: